Something more...

Monday, October 17, 2011

Laundry Room Makeover



Laundry-Noun (lawn-dree)
1. articles of clothing, linens, etc., that have been or are to be washed.
2. a room or area, as in a home or apartment building, reserved for doing the family wash.


Laundry is certainly not my favorite job in the house. In fact, I try not to do it at all but then it just piles up.  If I can talk someone else into doing the laundry for me, I do.  Often that doesn't happen and I realized that this room was the only room in the house that I had not given any love to since we moved in.  Following that thought, I realized the room was ugly and boring and who in their right mind would want to go in there for any length of time?  The room is 4ft. 3in. x 9ft. 9in.  Actually that is not such a bad size.  If this space was more attractive, inviting and functional maybe, just maybe, I would like doing the laundry and I might even get the rest of my family into the fun. 


The first three pictures are the laundry room before.  As you can see, the builder painted the room, uh, beige. I had my machines on pedestals, which raised them up about shoulder height.  There was a shelf above them that I could not reach so I used the shelf to house things I don't use very often.  Since I couldn't reach, I used to throw things up there and hope they didn't fall back down.  The new and improved pictures are following.
O my, I forgot how terrible it was.



I can reach all my shelves now.
The two baskets above the washer and dryer slide toward you for even better access.

The "thing" above the dryer is my stationary drying rack that fits in the dryer.
It is big and hard to store but essential.  The hanger for the ironing board was reused from it's previous spot. Brown baskets from Target, green tub on the top shelf is known as the "picking basket"mostly used for the vegetable garden.  
My rotissorie is also difficult to store but fits great up on the top shelf.  A nice hanging bar was added to hang all those things that don't go in the dryer.  Don't my homemade pickles, jellies, and relishes look beautiful on the shelves too? 
This mirror I made from an old window.  I basically cleaned it all up, painted it and installed 3 mirror pieces to the back of it.  Added some shiny little hooks and it looks fantastic.  Adds depth and shine to the room and I LOVE it.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful re-do, Susan. Amazing how the beautiful mirror you created adds so much to the room; it looks so much larger as well. Great paint color too. I am following you now and invite you to join me as well, and grab my blog button too. Hugs, Gayle
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so well organized now! You must LOVE doing laundry now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, well LOVE is a strong word to use in the same sentence with laundry. But I must admit I feel better when I go in there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, what a beautiful job you did on the laundry room - it must be a pleasure to spend time in there now. I have found you and am following you through Debbie's Newbie Party and hope to visit more often. Please drop by my blog also and perhaps follow me, as humble as it is, LOL Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found my newbie party. Great looking laundry room. I really need to do mine over soon. Please add my link or button, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My laundry room is almost exactly that same size. I love how you used the space! Terrific organization ideas! Great looking makeover! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party and would love it if you'd come and share something you made/did/bought sometime before blogging. Can't wait to see what you share at the party.

    ReplyDelete